Occasionally it is necessary to alter the course of a river in order to accommodate a proposed development. We have experience of diverting all classifications of river from simple land drains, ordinary watercourses, critical ordinary watercourses and Environment Agency Main Rivers.
Water Environment can offer a complete river diversion and reinstatement service, and can manage all aspects of the project, including:
- Provision of initial concept ideas and draft designs;
- Negotiation with the Environment Agency and/or Local Authority;
- Hydrological analysis and hydraulic modelling to test the flood risk implications;
- Preparation of a full Flood Risk Assessment;
- Detailed river diversion design drawings for construction;
- Application of necessary consents; and,
- Supervision of construction and replanting of new channel.
Successful diversion and reinstatement of a river can provide increased development potential, but with sensitive and careful design, can also provide ecological, biodiversity and public amenity benefits.